Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Federated States of Micronesia or Palau it is!

Back in February, I decide to apply to the Peace Corps. This was not something I did on a whim, but was something that I have been wanting to do for many years. After moving from my secure place in life (aka Nebraska) to Virginia Beach, VA where I knew only my sister, brother-in-law, and my sister's best friend and family, I found through much reflection that I needed to finally move my butt and get on this whole Peace Corps process.

I'm sure (actually I know) many of my family members and friends thought this was just an "Amber thing" and would eventually blow over...well, I sit here tonight with boxes stacked in the corner and an aspiration statement staring me in the face to say, "No, not a fleeting thought but an endeavor I am both ecstatic, overwhelmed, and nervous as ever to begin".

So I will be an English as a Secondary Language teacher for both students, community members, and other teachers. In addition to teaching English, I will be helping fellow teachers, community workers, and partnering agencies develop curriculum and effective teaching strategies that are sustainable for the culture. On the side I will be doing community and youth development work. I hope to do some health/nutrition work as Micronesia is considered one of the fattest countries in the world (yikes). So, Jody and LPRD peers-be ready to provide some much needed advice, research, and tools to ensure that I develop a plan for addressing the needs of the community!

Micronesia is a very remote island region which includes Guam. However the two countries that I could be in are: FSM and the Republic of Palau. My first two weeks will be in Pohnpei then I will go to one of the States of FSM or to Palau for the remaining 7 or so weeks to learn the language/culture and train for the job.

With only one month left before leaving, I am nervous, excited, scared, sad, and just about any other emotion you can come up with. I can't wait to go but on the other hand....I cannot help but be a little sad to leave behind friends, family, and life as I have known it for the past 29 years. Most likely I will not be back to visit during my time there due to the outrageous travel time and the plane prices.

While there though, I plan to update this as regularly as possible- you must remember though that I do not know where I will be and Internet and phone access may be very limited. That is why I ask all of you to pray, cross your fingers, summon the karma gods, etc that I am in a place that has some sort of modern technology. This will make my communication with you more efficient as well as connect me with resources and people/groups that will make my work in my future country more successful. Thank you to everyone who has supported me and dealt with me through this relatively short process (5 months from application submission to invitation, which according to many PCV is super quick) thus far. I appreciate it greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment