Thursday, August 13, 2009

Va Beach Wrap-Up....On to Family Time...

It's official...I am no longer a resident of Virginia. Well, not that I ever was but technically I did pay taxes in that backward state, so that has to count for something. I sold my scooter yesterday at 7:30 pm, just in time for dinner with an old New Orleans friend, accumulated some sleep the night before my flight, found a ride to the airport, and today- landed in Baton Rouge.

I am now a transient. Really, a transient. It just so happens that my karma ran out before my exit from Va Beach when I failed to get my ATM card from the machine. So, I have no ATM card currently, but as Melissa said, "At least you won't be tempted to spend money". Amen to that, sista!

It's great to be visiting my brother and his family. I'm mentally preparing for the rest of my visits. I know it's going to be difficult but I have to push through. Shit, y'all- 3 weeks until departure from LA! People keep asking me if I'm nervous. I haven't had the nerve twitch yet. I think it has been overshadowed by the anxiety of getting all my belongings shipped and my possessions sold. Even now that those aspects are complete, I feel a since of excitement that is more powerful than nerves. What is keeping me going and avoiding the nerve impulse- the mere fact that I'm about to embark on a journey of a lifetime and fortunately, I will not be doing it alone...Not the first 3 months anyway.

I have yet to purchase a few more items. It looks like I may want to invest in some silicone packets? My sister has done research and the moisture destroys electronics and grows mold on about anything, including clothes, linens, etc. So for all you hoarders out there- if you have any silicone packets, you know, the little packets that read "DO NOT EAT", send them my way!

I'm debating the purchase of a nice pair of sunglasses, but seriously, I've never been able to keep a good pair in working condition and with all the water that will soon be around, I don't see it being a smart decision.

I must find some below-the-knee shorts as well. Although I dread wearing these things, it is a must. I feel like a gomer with them on...they just look ridiculous on me. Bless those who can wear them without fear of

My number one purchase priority at this point- a mattress for sleeping....on the floor....with the bugs.

Before I forget...I got my staging ticket! I leave Omaha at 6:37am connecting in Denver and eventually arriving at LAX. It's official- I'm leaving on a jet plane....






No comments:

Post a Comment