Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Always an interesting day

I recently did my laundry at a small laundromat-it has a machine that you have to fill with a hose. No problem right? However I didn't realize that when it drains, all the water comes pouring out of the back of the machine. So although my feet were covered in soapy water-at least I knew the clothes would be clean! The biggest worry regarding the clothes is that they 1)get clean and 2)don't smell like mildew. There's so much moisture here that it's  tough to get clothes completely dry.  I don't want to smell like mildew!

Training has been going well. The most exciting aspect thus far is selecting a placment. There are a few schools in Palou that I'm interested in as well as Kosrae (pronounced Koshrie). I'm really looking to do something within health educaton as well as teaching English. However Chuuk has a few potential schools that are looking for a volunteer with grant writing experience and health education so that may also be a good fit. Ultimatly it comes down to me giving my three preferences and the staff deciding where to place me.  Granted this may pose a disappointment but I have much faith in the staff as they have been doing this for many years. Wherever I go, I will do my best.

On to more exciting things! The beauty of this island! Pohnpei is gorgeous. Everything is so lush and green. It rains about 2-3 times per day, sometimes more or less. It's very hot and sticky but thankfully showering is always available. My school is located along the water...not the ocean but more of a lake/lagoon I suppose. Each day during class I look out over the cocunut trees and palms to view the beautiful pristine blue water. It is breathtaking.  My house is located along the main road that circles the entire island. My family has the store there and a bit behind the store is the house nestled in the jungle.  There are mountains, islands, and waterfalls throughout the island. Actually I  run to the top of the mountain to get an internet signal. I really don't mind though. It gives me a chance to exercise and meet the locals. The local waterfall(the name I can't remember) I hope to visit on Sunday after the cockfight and church...yup cockfight! Is it bad that I'm super stoked to see this go down?

There are about 30 volunteers here not including the 2 current volunteers serving the area.  So white or as the locals say "men wai" people are common and many locals speak English. There is one gentleman on the island who served as a PCV back in the 70's. He decided this should be his home and has really taken to the island. He has an actual ranking in the community and knows much about agriculture. He's a great resource for plant identification and can name almost every species of plants.

Learning the language has been difficult. I have this thought in the back of my head in that o don't want to focus too hard on learning the language if I'm leaving in 2 weeks. I do my best and I'm sure my family has learned to read my facial expressions especially the one that reads "I have no clue".  Regardless the area is gorgeous and overtakes any qualms or difficulties I experience.

One thing is for sure the animals here are plentiful!  In my yard- actually in all yards, along the roads, and nestled within the jungle live chicken, dogs, cats and roosters.  It is not uncommon for all animals to be frolicking amongst one another. It's amazing how I've just gotten used to it all so quickly. The first few days I woke at 3am to the roosters. Little did I know that they are up so early! Damn american history/fallacy saying that roosters are up when the sun rises. BS! Anyway I now sleep right through them. What does wake me up are the pigs! My family confines the pigs to a cage not too far down the hill from my bedroom window.  They get all riled up in the early hours. They drive me nuts...but it is food so I can't complain.

A few nights ago I spent time with my host sisters. We drank sakou and chewed beetle nut.  Beetle nut is a local fruit that grows on trees everywhere. You crack open the fruit with your teeth, sprinkle some lime powder and tobacco in it, close it, and wrap it in a chewing leaf. You stick it in the back of your mouth and bite down. The leaf turns your spit super red as well as your mouth needless to say it was pretty sweet! Immediately my ears felt warm and I got a bit dizzy. It's a stimulant and sends a rush to your head. The sakou counters the effects and before I knew it, I was ready for bed. It was great to hang with my sisters! They are very smart and speak english quite well. We had some great girl talks.

Well, I find out tomorrow where I will be placed for the next 2 years! I'm very excited! Can't wait to spread the word.

Talk soon...


Ham

1 comment:

  1. Ahahah you chewed beetle nut? I never did, I was too scared of the red spit. ^_^
    Thats so Asian ghetto. Awesome, dude, you're living it! Kiss. Love you!

    ReplyDelete