Friday, September 11, 2009

Outside Kolonia, Pohnpei in Micronesia

Before I begin this post I want to warn you of many typos and a strange formatting issue. It's a learning experience!

Kasalehlia! This is "greetings" in pohnpeian.

I have officially began my preservice training in micronesia.  It has
been a wonderful start in this journey.  On Monday I met my host
family who I will be staying with until September 25 or 26.  They are
a beautiful family! In the house lives 2 older daughters one who is 19
and the other who is 21. In addition is baba and nano (mom and dad) as
well as 2 sons and my sister-in-law. Kelly and his wife have 4
children whose ages range from 10 months to 6 years. Ely Mae is 3
years old and she absolutely adores me- well let's be honest, I love
her just as much. The house is 3 bedrooms and a living space as well
as a bathroom. Altogether there are 12 of us living here. I have my
own room and often feel selfish taking up one room while everyone else
sleeps in the rest of the house. However I have to remind myslef that
pohnpei is not like America. Here sleeping with your family is the
norm and taking in guests means providing them with their space. The
Micronesians are all very kind and continually accept Americans
particularly peace corps volunteers. We live in a home that has
running water and a "water seal" toilet which ultimately means that it
will flush with the addition of a pitcher of water. Unlike many of my
counterparts I also have an indoor shower.  I have running water and
take a shower two times per day via a "bucket shower".  Although the
water is only cold, I have no qualms as the heat and humidity make
cold water a necessity.  Micronesians are very clean people and highly
suggest one duhtu (shower) each morning and night. I prefer to shower
before dinner as by the time I return home from school/training I am
stinky and ready for a shower!

My host family is wonderful! They feed me a lovely breakfast usually
eggs (a luxory) fruit (either watermelon or breadfruit) and a cup of
super sweet coffee. Before I know it it's time to get to school where
I sit in a hot classroom that is festering with multiple men wai
(white person) scents. Honestly I don't mind and have already become
accustomed to the various smells.  After school I walk home which is
actually only a ten minute walk.  The second day here I started
running/exercising. That day I invited my little brother (Kelly Jr or
as he is known Jun Jun and his neighbor friend Christopher) to run
with me.  Little did I know how much they would enjoy such an
activity!  The next few days when I would return home they would be
there waiting to go running.  I love it! Not only does it
keepeotivated but the children love it.

The past few nights I have spent te with my family and studying. After
my duhtu I have dinner. I am very fortunate to be with such a
wonderful famy! My diet has consisted of yams, fish, some spam, and
much rice. Never will I go hungry here! In addition I have enjoyed
many evenings of sakouh, a traditional drink on pohnpei that is made
by grinding taro root and then sifting it through a bladder type thing
(I'm lost for words here), running water through it, and finally
squeezing it into bottles.  There is a customary process to accepting
and drinking sakouh and it's affects are comparable to a mild
sedative.  Needless to say, I sleep like a baby after a night of
ingesting sakouh!

Again I must mention the hospitality of my family. At the te of my
meeting th- I was presented a headress and a necklace. After my
arrival, my mother gave me a beautiful skirt. Each day since she has
greeted me in the morning with a new skirt. They are all locally made
and are colorful with various sequins. All the women wear the skirts
and it's quite the sight. Although I've only been here for less than
one week, I already feel at home. I wonder if coming back to the
states is even an option. A collectivist society is such an unreal and
unimaginable state to be in. I can't wait to really learn the language
and embrace the culture. I feel so fortunate to be in the place.

Just to let you all know- I will find out my permanent placent on
wednesday. I'm looking at a few other islands including Palau, chuuk,
and kosrae. They all have schools where I think I will work well. I
hope to let you know as soon as I get the opportunity.

My future blogs will most likely encompass the various themes- lack of
AC, Thousand Island dressing (I couldn't believe it either Misty!),
Mosquitos/bugs/cockroaches, beetle nut,  the language and many laughs
attempting the language, cock fights, church, and the absolute beauty
of this island.

I hope to hear from you all. Please be aware that connection is quite
limited and my email is tough to access. I actually have an easier
time getting on Facebook...weird I know.

For those concerned or even a bit hesitant- I'm happy as can be and
loving every minute thus far. I know it will get tough but I have the
support of all of you!

My love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment