Thursday, September 24, 2009

A curious case of the roach and water

I've mentioned in past blogs incidents with cockroaches. Well let me take this moment to update you on the most recent encounters.

A few nights ago the power went down. No not just my house but all houses in the area. After charting with my host family, I decided to take a shower- yes the infamous shower. Some of you may question my decision to tuhtu during a blackout but seriously it's no different than when we have power for two reasons: 1) the night light in the bathroom illuminates the toilet area only and 2) my showers are cold water only, which honestly is fine with me since it's 80 degrees everyday.

So I gather up my shower accessories and make my way into the bathroom. I'm all lathered up getting ready to rinse my face when I have an "itch" on my back. I reach around and realize the itch is moving and is "raised". I swipe at it and off flies a fucking cockroach. A roach on my back! In the nude on my back. Suds in my eyes I scream. I'm trying to blink the soap out while keeping an eye on the friggin' nasty ass roach, kids knocking on the bathroom door to see if I'm okay and the roach scurrying around my feet to safety.  It ran into the shower wall and fortunately didn't reappear...that night. The next morning I go to tuhtu...I creep in and swing the door wide open. Sure enough that bastard again makes way toward my feet before scurrying into the wall. Thank god. Oh but if that's not enough....I'm in the shower with one eye open just waiting for the nasty thing to come out when I look up and yes, a huge spider watching me. You people back home may think- ha just a spider. No! You know the bathroom tiles, they're what, 3x3" or so? Yes this marvelous creature expands beyond! Beyond! And when it moves up...all it's legs come together behind it with it's ginormous head/body leading the way and making it look ten times as large. That thing sat there and watched me the whole time- the whole time...who am I kidding, I finished washing my face and busted out of there.  Later that day he was still in the same place which by this point was just fine with me. At least I knew where he was. The next morning, mr ginormous spider was in the toilet...dead I would assume. I don't know though as I refused to flush him. I held my pee until school- an hour later.

On to the good things...this week as been filled with exciting events. Saturday I joined a group of volunteers and made our way to Keporhi Falls. I believe this is the largest waterfall on the island. The great part- it's about 5 minutes from my house!

The waterfall was spectacular! A few of the other volunteers and I immediately got in the water and waded around the huge rocks- water splashing on our faces. It was one of the best feelings I've had up to this point. It was breathtaking. So much that I sometimes forget that I'm in Pohnpei, Micronesia. It's moments like this that drill it home to me. I spent some quality time in the water but eventually made my way to a boulder. I climbed upon the wet rock and just looked around. Living in America, I think we tend to forget to just be. To take the time and watch the life around us. Me being here has made me more aware of my surroundings. Shit how could it not? This island is full of beautiful and sometimes obnoxious (nasty roaches and annoying ants) elements but I have to remember to just grasp the fact that this is one of the most exotic places in the world and deserves much appreciation. With that in mind I shot some pictures and tried out a few features on my camera.  I hope I captured the essence I was searching for and you will be able to at least get a remote understanding of what I'm attempting to portray.

Before I forget...photos. I sent my dad my SD card and he will be posting pictures on my flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/theamberham

So check the site from time to time for any additions.

In addition to the water fall I also enjoyed my first snorkeling exhibition. I knew that I would love this recreational activity but didn't think I'd fall in love so quickly and without hesitation.

Peace Corps emphasizes the importance of water safety so they inadvertantly have to give us a chance to understand that we are surrounded by water and will most likely spend much time in it. As a result-we spend a full day snorkeling!

We arrived at The Pohnpeian Surf Club just outside Kolonia in the earmy morning and set sail (or motor in this case) for Lagnar Island (don't quote me on this). This island was used for the Japanese during WWII and served as a runway way. As of late, though not currently, it seves as a clam farm. Regardless we stopped here to do some training and get familiar with the water and reef. After a quick lunch we headed for a spot to dive along the reef. The moment we took off in the boat I will never forget.

You know that feeling you get when you realize that you're alive and free? That sensation rushed through my body. Just thinking about it gives me goosebumps. The water is crystal clear, the air blowing through my hair, and the jolting of the boat sent me somewhere else. I can't even contemplate the last time I had that emotional response. I don't intend to sound corny, but all this reaffirmed the fact that I'm here. I'm finally here. I'm in the damn Peace Corps...so many years of contemplation have finally come to fruition. Wow! What a mesmerizing experience.

The reef that we dove around contains a large population of manta rays. Unfortunatley there were only a few for our viewing pleasure. I actually got a decent picture of one...thanks to Mike who pointed it out to me! The coral was quite beautiful and the marine life rather lively. The only downfall- the excessive current. I was exhausted by the time I got back to the boat! After we all loaded up, our captain took us to our next destination...a lovely spot right off the reef where the waves were breaking...beautiful and nice sized waves. Just seeing them made me more aware of the fact that I must learn how to surf. Before I get sworn in I will be a certified scuba diver! Yippee! A returned volunteer who has lived in Micronesia since the 70's certifies PCV for a reduced rate, so within the next month, I'll be a diving novice!

Our 3 weeks of training in pohnpei is finally coming to an end. I'm very sad to see many of the volunteers departing and beginning the next phase of this experience. Damn Micronesia for being so spread out! So to all my peeps moving on- good luck and peace out!

I apologize foe the delay in posting but this week has been chaotic. I begin language training on Monday as well as some practicum experience over the next 6 weeks. So hopefully I'll be able to make it up the hill to post some messages here.

I'm going to Nahlap this weekend for an over night trip with the other Pohnpeian volunteers. Nahlap is a resort island decked out with beaches and water slides...I can't express how excited I am to get away, even if just for the night!

Until I get the energy to make it up the mountain...

Ham

3 comments:

  1. Make sure you keep that SD card and camera in air tight bags with those little silicon packets. Just a reminder. :)

    Glad you enjoy the snorkeling, the little diving (only went down 20 or 30 feet) and snorkeling I have done was amazing. The quiet / tranquil, blue and beautiful.

    Enjoy the huge bugs! /shudders

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen the dreaded mukade (poisonous centipede) yet?

    ReplyDelete