Friday, September 18, 2009

My placement

I received word today regarding my placent for the next 2 years. I'll begin with what I wanted...

I began the selection process by looking through all the site folders. There were 36 places wanting a volunteer and only 30 volunteers to fill the selected sites. Apparently in past hears there were approximately double the spaces for the number of volunteers...honestly I can't imagine that many sites! I was quite pleased with the openings presented.

I wanted to be placed on either Palaou or Chuuk. And again I'll be honest why- both islands are closest to Japan and any chance I would have had, I'd take the next flight out to see Misty and Co.  Needless to say I didn't get either island.  Anyway, I was given the chance to give my top three choices so I did just that. The placement day was very nerve racking and when they called my name...well I was very apprehensive. Next they said my placement-Sekere elementary in Sekere,Pohnpei. I was disappointed. I knew not to get my heart set on any one place but the disappointment was inevitable. The best part- two of the women volunteers that I have gotten close to also were assigned Pohnpei. There are a total of 8 volunteers staying in Pohnpei.

On to the good stuff about my placement! First and foremost I get to stay with my current family for the next 7 weeks! I love love love this family and they are wonderful counterparts for learning the language and the culture. Also I have one up on mastering the language!

My future school is located in northern pohnpei about an hour from my current location which is called Madolenihmw (the w is silent). I'll be living in Sekere (the e sounds like a long I and you roll the r) which is located about 10 minutes via my 2 feet from Kolonia, the largest city in Pohnpei. So yes, I'll be near a city which has it's pluses including nightlife, clothes, and all types of food. More importantly, I'm within walking distance from one of the best places for swimming! Ah- surfing and snorkeling are also super close which is located in Palikir. Of course there is plenty of hiking areas throughout the island. I recently learned that snorkeling can be done for a mere 10 dollars which includes the boat fare! So I'm set for entertainment.

As for my school...there is a volunteer presently working there and he has accomplished much with great support from the community and principal. The principal is a woman- and is the first in the community to earn a Masters degree. She is a great contact and loves having volunteers. My co teacher is also a woman and I'll be working with her in her 5th grade classroom teaching all subjects. I also believe that I'll be assisting in the computer lab. The school is quite large with about 350 students and about half leaving the island for college, so efficacy is rather high. In addition due to my location I will have access to many city goverments, nonprofits, and local community groups. This will definitely help with any projects I want to begin/continue and will provide many resources.

So although i was a bit dissapointed in the beginning, I am now very excited. I have not only a supportive school but also an urban environment to access when I need it. Even better-Internet and a laundry mat! No mildew clothes for me! Haha!

I'm very excited to immerse myself fully in the language. I've already started working on parts but am definitely all about having a tutor/language instructor. I will remain in my current village until about November 6th. I have yet to learn who I'll be living with once I officially begin teaching so I will keep you posted.

As for upcoming activities...all PCV will be going to Kolonia for a much needed shopping excursion and out to the reef for diving. Also a group of us will be hanging out drinking sakou and enjoying a "fundraiser/birthday party" (more info on exactly what this entails), a trip to the Kepirohi Falls waterfall, and finally a weekend at Nahlap Island for camping...pretty awesome plans, eh?!

So now that you all know I'll be in Pohnpei- you best start planning a trip to visit! It may be expensive to get here but to play- amazingly cheap! Shit y'all 1 dollar for a taxi ride anywhere in the city and to my house/site 3 bucks! Can't beat that. Gitty up!

I had another cockroach incident...

Ham

2 comments:

  1. Amber,

    I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Sekere from 1991-93. I am thrilled to find your blog via the Habele Fund. I would love to hear more details about your journey. Please email me at hodgesc66@gmail.com.

    Killisou Chapour--the Morlockese, not the Pohnpeian, which you will be told many times means rolling around on the ground naked.


    Clark Hodges

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sekere will be awesome. Not sure if Madolehnihmw will give you a leg up on the language - Sekere school is, as far as I know, predominantly Mortlockese. The Mortlockese are originally from an outer island of Chuuk state, so you are getting placed amongst a people from Chuuk if not actually placed in Chuuk.

    For what it is worth, back in 1984 I was placed by Peace Corps in a place I said I would not want to serve. I decided to go anyway, and I had a wonderful two years.

    ReplyDelete