Friday, September 18, 2009

Pohnpeians put the Fun in Fundraiser

I finally attended my first fundraiser in Micronesia...needless to say it was more than I expected.

After getting out of school, Kate (another volnunteer who was assigned to Pohnpei-an actual outer island) and I headed back to my house so that I could tuhtu before walking to her house. We reached her house around 6ish and ate a wonderful meal of tuna sashimi, rice, mixed veggies, and fresh ripe tomatoes. Around 7, Kate, her host mom, and I stopped by Emily's (a volunteer selected to serve on an outer island in Yap) house to pick her up. After a lovely conversation with she and her host family we set off for the fundraiser.

The festivities took place at a local house and instantly reminded me of a street party. Many of the locals as well as a few men wai were there drinking sakou and partaking in the raffle. My host family surprised me by showing up and I instantly found a spot next to them. I quickly found my money and bought 2 dollars worth of raffle tickets at 25 cents per ticket. Before I knew it the raffle was beginning...

Now let me bring you back to the Micronesian dog issue...they are everywhere and are considered property not pets.  This is due to the fact that they are guard dogs and a local food product. They are NOT pets so people don't play with or pet them. When they are stinky or bothersome they are "shooshed" away.

So I'm sitting there all excited that the raffle is about to begin when a dog ends up tangled under my feet. I try to shoosh it away and end up pushing it back with my feet when it erupts and ends up biting my ankel. So here I am in the middle of this place with a dog clamped onto my ankle while the woman is reading off the winning ticket. My host father shooshes the dog and it runs off whimpering. My host mom is on the other side looking over my shoulder reading off the ticket number. And guess what?! I'm the lucky winner! I stand up, do my little ditty dance, and everyone laughs at the men wai lady. My nono (mom) stands up and I suggest that she go pick out the prize. While she's gone getting what I believe is A prize another lady comes over with a sack of ramens and some local hot peppers. Awesome right? Oh no, it gets better! A man brings over a kerosene lantern and a huge cucumber looking vegetable. My nono brings a large sleeping mat and informs me that we also won some bananas. I'm happy as hell. All the other volunteers are extremely jealous and my baba (father) suggests that I buy more tickets since I'm having such great luck...so of course i do. Unfortunately I didn't win anymore. My baba leaves shortly thereafter with my winnings and eventually I tell the rest of the volunteers goodnight and head home with my nono.

When we return home I find out that not only did I win the lantern, cucmberish vegetable, sleeping mat, and hot peppers but also...(drum roll please) but not just a few bananas but about 5 ginormous bunches. I'm not talking American idea of bunches so let's say about 5 trees worthn of bananas with the huge flower still attached to each bunch. Not only that but also a huge yam, a 25 pound bag of coconuts used prarily for cooking or feeding pigs, and 3 banana trees! Apparently you just plant the already mature tree and boing-more bananas! It a fricking party!

My family was super stoked and presented me with a, okay several, bottles of sakou and a lel (beautiful) skirt. What can I say- they love me. Hehe!

We finished the evening passing the sakou around and chatting. My baba taught me how to count in Pohnpeian and my sister schooled me in a new cuss word...i'm not gonna tell you! Okay maybe later!

Have I mentioned my fondness for the collectivist society? The fundraiser is conducted to raise money for birthday parties. Families donate items which are raffled off so that all children can celebrate their birthdays accordingly. My winnings go directly to the family which is supporting me here in Micronesia. Honestly I think they have the right idea. Some may feel differently but if you were here- you just may change your thinking, if even for a second, you may see just why this group of people are happier than the majority of Americans. Life isn't about wealth, success in ones job, or personal achievement. It's about aligning your priorities- family and happiness. I'm sure I will have much to say on this topic as time goes on.

I will conclude witb this- Pohnpeians know how to get down and overall, it was a productive night with many happy endings. Oh the life of a PCV!

Oh my ankle- no wound- just a sign from the karma gods. No?

2 comments:

  1. Amber I love your blog post! I am so happy for you!
    Hannah Riley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leo was being bad the other night so I told him that aunt Amber was going to come back and have "Leo chops" for lunch if he didn't behave.

    Love your post.

    ReplyDelete